Established in 1989, Swiftdeer-Paige, an earth friendly company, has been "edutaining" thousands of people young and old on the important ecological issues of our times. Offering age appropriate programs for all seasons, Swiftdeer-Paige is strongly committed to inspiring a greater desire for a more balanced relationship with the web of life.
Dennis Paige has been awarded the 2008 Grassroots Conservation Leadership Award from the Audubon-Chicago Region and the Chicago Wilderness Habitat Project. This award reminds people that so many of us have a profound love for nature and that this love inspires us to do extraordinary things.
Contact: 847-301-9081 or email@example.com
View a sample of my work here: http://youtu.be/6NWikoEPBrk
Journey From The Heart
With close ties to the earth, native North American cultures are a crucial link between human society and nature. The circle dances, animal impressions, stories, songs, drumming, and sharing of the Medicine bag are presented in a very colorfully captivating setting, creating an inspirational program to draw the participant into the humor and ancient wisdom of the First Nations. Tailored to meet the needs of the individual group, this engaging 50 minute performance is available any time during the year. Ideal for scout gatherings, summer camps, school/library special events, festivals, and birthday parties.
This program has been performed to thousands of people, young and old, in hope of inspiring action toward a caring kinship relationship with nature. Receiving the ceremonial blessings of Sitting Bull's pipe by Lakota pipekeeper Tatonka Ska (father of the Spotted Red Bead People), Dennis honors "the Red Road" with a deep conviction and love for the Native American ways. Having recently been adopted into the Northern Branch of the Spotted Red Bead People, Swiftdeer-Paige prides himself with an Earth-centered consciousness in his daily life. This program is recommended for people over 6 years of age. A one month advance notice for bookings is required.
This hour long program celebrates the return of the coyote to our area. Play a lively audience participatory game to learn how coyotes survive in the modern world, listen to a whimsical Zuni tale about Old Coyote Woman and a mystic grasshopper, engage in the entire coyote friendly version to Home On The Range accompanied by harmonica, and then be enthralled to hear an amazing true story of how Swiftdeer was saved by a coyote and her pup in the rugged high desert wilderness of north central New Mexico.
Ideal for libraries, campfire programs, school assemblies, and scout gatherings.
Spinning Earth Friendly Yarn for Kid's Sake
Where can you find the nearest storyteller? The answer may be closer than you think. Dennis Paige believes we are all born with the ability to tell stories, and that each of our lives is filled with a rich treasure of life experiences though we live in a fast paced electronic age that doesn't nurture those gifts. A naturalist, writer, and professional storyteller, Dennis guides children in creating, telling, and listening to tales with the wild world in mind and stories of personal connections with nature. Activities over a two hour period will help provide the necessary tools for kids to enjoy the art of storytelling to their schools, family, friends, or even their pet animals.
Guiding the child through a series of playfully engaging exercises through the imagination, Dennis shows how to use our innate storytelling skills to recover lost connections with nature, escape the video age of passive entertainment in the quest for people to people time, and give parents a window into their children's lives.
Awakening The Hidden Storyteller As If the Earth Mattered
Where can you find the nearet storyteller? The answer may be closer than you think. We are all born with the innate ability to tell stories, though we live in a fast-paced electronic age that doesn't nurture the those gifts of life. Activities in this earth friendly workshop provide the basic necessary tools for educators, eco-questers, parents and grandparents to enjoy the art of storytelling for their audience while integrating creative collaborative exercises which embrace nature in our lives. Come and explore an enchanting window into your inner child with long time eco-storyteller Dennis Swiftdeer Paige.
Living As If The Earth Mattered
Two hour motivational thought provoking workshop for adults devoted to helping people find empowering earth friendly ways to live with joy and practical simplicity in your community.
You've Got To Be Kidding Me!
(45 minute storytelling program intended for adults)
Belonging is the most important function a community serves. Indeed, that is the message that lies at the heart of longtime storyteller Dennis Paige's program. Growing up in the 1950s in a small industrial suburb of Chicago solidified a sense of belonging to a world larger than himself and prepared him with his parents' guidance to participate in the larger community, human and otherwise. Just like every generation, the Fifties carried a unique cultural bag of absurdities and creative challenges to belong into the "real world." Listen to delightfully rich tales of a not so distant time and see if your generation outmatches Dennis' memorable relationships in his community when sandlot baseball ruled, TV westerns thrived and the feeling of terror related to the possibility of being invaded by Martians.
Dennis has extensive professional background as naturalist, restorationist, ecology minded storyteller, green thinking lecturer, natural landscaper and environmental journalist. He has trained under the Second City School of Comedy in Chicago, served for two years on a United Nations Earth Charter Planning Committee for the City of Chicago, and runs his own earth caring enterprise called Swiftdeer-Paige.
As a naturalist-education specialist for over 15 years at a nature sanctuary in Schaumburg, Illinois, Dennis has continued to educate people young and old to the daily detailed awes and wonders of nature through interpretive walks, day camps, night hikes and campfire programs. For seven years he lead outdoor ecology focused adventure camps in Wisconsin for youth with an emphasis on challenging low impact recreational experiences.
For four years Dennis wrote an award winning column for the Daily Herald called "Green Light: Living with Nature" circulated throughout the northwest Chicago suburbs, covering local, regional, and global environmental issues.
For ten years he served on a committee to help plan and coordinate an annual Earth Day Celebration sponsored by School District 54 and played as a percussionist-singer in a contemporary folk band called Prairie Smoke for over 12 years.
He holds double Masters Degrees in Environmental Education from the National Audubon Society Expedition Institute through Lesley University (Cambridge, MA) and in Social Studies from Northwestern University (Evanston, IL).
He presents a thought provoking workshop-lecture program titled "Living As If The Earth Mattered" to colleges and other interested organizations and a slide talk presentation on creative native landscaping titled "Creating Eco-gardens in Sterile Residential Landscapes" to garden clubs, nurseries, and other interested groups.
Serving in the Peace Corps in West Africa, living in his own rotunda style self made adobe home without electricity for 6 years in Santa Fe, New Mexico, canoeing, camping and backpacking throughout many wilderness North American national parks have instilled a rich spectrum of engaging worldly experiences.
Dennis tries to live as he preaches, conserving energy by riding to and from work on a bicycle, composting regularly, and eating a mostly vegan diet at home. A dedicated advocate of wetlands, he has successfully campaigned to protect them from development. Over the past few years, he has designed and applied environmentally friendly natural landscaping to individual homeowners and a condominium association and received media attention in the Chicago Tribune for his unique conscientious approach.
Sampling of Performances by Swiftdeer-Paige
- North Park Elementary School, Chicago, IL
- Sauk Valley Community College, Dixon, IL
- Ethical Humanist Society of Chicago, Skokie, IL
- Chicago Academy Elemenatary School, Chicago
- University of Chicago Lab School, Hyde Park, IL
- Bernard Zell Anshe Emet Day School, Chicago, IL
- TEAM Conference, Northeastern Illinois University, Chicago IL
- Illinois Home Educators Conference, Arlington Heights IL
- Frank Whiteley School, Hoffman Estates IL
- Hanover Countryside Elementary School, Streamwood IL
- Lincolnwood School, Evanston IL
- Lowrie Elementary School, Elgin IL
- Little Lamb Academy, Chicago, IL
- Solomon Schechter Day School, Northbrook, IL
- John Mills Jr. High, Elmwood Park IL
- Pleasant Hill School, Palatine IL
- Chicago Waldorf School, Chicago IL
- Kaneland Junior High School, Elburn IL
- Bruning Elementary School, Wilmington IL
- Roosevelt Elementary, North Attleboro MA
- Enders Salk Elementary School, Schaumburg IL
- Edgewood School, Woodridge IL
- Plainville Elementary, Plainville MA
- Stevenson Elementary, Elk Grove Village IL
- Henking Elementary, Glenview IL
- Quest Academy, Palatine IL
- Montessori Academy, St. Charles IL
- Kinder Care, Aurora IL
- Dads and Daughters, Algonquin Longhouse, Inc. (K-5), Wadsworth WI
- Falls Elementary, North Attleboro MA
- Hawthorne Elementary, Elmhurst IL
- Montessori Academy, Glen Ellyn IL
- Emanuel Congregation, Chicago, IL
- Einstein Elementary School (Celebrating Reading and Writing Night), Hanover Park, IL
Museums, Nature Centers and Public Libraries
- Cook Memorial Public Library, Vernon Hills, IL
- Elmhurst Library, Elmhurst IL
- Round Lake Public Library, Round Lake, IL
- Forest Park Library - Read about it here
- Round Lake Library, Round Lake, IL
- Wood Dale Library, Wood Dale, IL
- Glenview Public Library, Glenview, IL
- Brookfield Pubic Library, Brookfield, IL
- Geneva Public Library, Geneva, IL
- Town and Country Library, Elburn, IL
- Northbrook Public Library, Northbrook, IL
- Red Oak Nature Center, Batavia, IL
- Arlington Heights Public Library
- Volo Bog Natural Area State Park Winter Fest
- Indian Trails Public Library, Wheeling, IL
- Brookfield Zoo, Brookfield, IL
- Peggy Notebaert Nature Museum, Chicago
- McHenry County Environmental Storytelling Concert at the Prairie Education Center, Crystal Lake IL
- Giving Garden Day, Chicago Botanic Gardens, Glencoe IL
- Museum of Science and Industry, Chicago IL
- JFK Health World, Barrington IL
- Earth Day Festival, Volo Bog State Park, Volo IL
- Heller Nature Center, Highland Park IL
- Evanston Ecology Center, Evanston IL
- Winter Fest, Lake Catherine Nature Center, Palos Heights IL
- Sunrise Lake Outdoor Education Center, Bartlett IL
- Camp Grove, Green Lake WI
- Ecoquest Camp, Lincolnwood IL
- Itasca Public Library, Itasca IL
- Winetka Public Library, Winetka IL
- Earth Day Celebration, Fox River Grove Library, Fox River Grove, IL
- Indian Prairie Public Library, Darien, IL
- Bengali Association for Greater Chicago, Oswego IL
- The Day Out of Time Arts Festival, Crestone CO
- The Inn Serendipity (an off the grid B&B House) Homeschooling small farm families in Browntown, WI
Read about it here: http://sustainablog.org/2009/08/05/the-story-of-sustainability/#more-4781
- Beth Tikvah Congregation, Hoffman Estates, IL
- Old Town School of Folk Music, Chicago IL
- Devil's Head Resort, Devil's Head WI
- Americana Health Care Center, Arlington Heights IL
- Clybourne Shopping Mall, Chicago IL
- Upstart Crow Store, Evanston IL
- Border's Books & Music, Wheaton IL
- Four Seasons Hotel, Chicago IL
- Evangelical Lutheran Church of the Holy Spirit Chicago, IL
- Pheasant Run Resort, St. Charles IL
- Eagle Ridge Resort Galena, IL
- Village/Park District Special Events
- Under The Sycamore Tree, Grayslake, IL
- Lincoln Park Cultural Center, Chicago Park District, Chicago, IL
- Palatine Storytelling Fest, Palatine IL
- Long Grove Apple Fest, Long Grove IL
- Glenview Fall Fest, Glenview IL
- Earth Day Fest, Lincoln Park Zoo, Chicago IL
- NEDSRA Fall Fest, Woodale Park, Woodale IL
- Earth Day Fest, Sauk Valley Community College, Dixon IL
- Morton Arboretum Family Fair, Lisle IL
- North Park Nature Center, Earth Day Fest, Chicago IL
- Chicago Earth Charter Summit Conference, Chicago IL
- Maine Audubon Society, Hog Island ME
- In Spirit Symposium on Sacred Spaces, Soldier's Field Chicago, IL
- Earth Day Fest, Bolingbrook Park District, Bolingbrook IL
- Rockford First Night, Rockford IL
- Friendship Village (retirement community), Schaumburg, IL
- Girls Scouts of Northern Illinois (Choctaw Service Unit Day Camp)
- Blue-Gold Dinner for Cub Pack 164, Des Plaines IL
- Cub Pack 50, Park Ridge IL
- Cub Pack 148, Schaumburg IL
- Chicago Area Council Boy Scout Jamboree, Chicago IL
- Cub Scout Pack 243, Lombard IL
- Cub Pack 396, Schaumburg IL
- Cub Pack 181, Park Ridge IL
- Blue Gold Cub Scout Dinner Cub Pack 163 Glenview, IL
- Cub Pack 23, American Indian Heritage Month, Elmhurst, IL